|Tuesday, June 10, 2003|
|Ai releases HAL2003|
|Savyon, Israel -- June 10, 2003 - Artificial Intelligence Research (Ai) |
(http://www.a-i.com) announced today the release of a new and improved version of 'Heuristico': The reinforcement learning algorithm used by HAL.
In HAL 2003, each rule generated by the learning engine is associated with a CLASS, of all the permitted values of the rule's variable. This establishes a unique mapping between RULES and CLASSES.
This one-to-one correspondence between rules and classes, introduces a hierarchy in the rule-system, (vs. the previous, flat, non-hierarchic scheme employed in previous versions). This new feature of HAL's brain constitutes another step forward in its learning capability, enabling the automatic propagation of rules from sub-class to super-class.
The following changes should be noticed on the new engine:
1. Smaller personality sizes -> yielding faster load and save times.
2. Smaller number of heuristics -> yielding faster response times.
3. The Magnetico (info-magnetism) heuristic has been removed -> the 'signature phrase' of a personality will change and hopefully will go away altogether over time.
4. The usage of a 'one turn deep' deeper context has been removed. This has been replaced by a mechanism which associates events in the past with the current context in a way that enables the creation of 'state variables'. This is a major change and more on that later.
5. The flow of learned material between classes of sub/super relations has been implemented. This means that once a class is established, new material needs not be taught for all of its members.
In general, the engine adds the usage of the class members and relations to the logic associated with rule generation. The classes can be used to share behavior (as is the case of a sub/super relation) and as a sort of a state variable (using the last used element of a class).
HAL 2003 is currently deployed alongside the previous version. All new personalities (based on a 'Fresh Copy') utilize the new engine, while old (private and public) personalities utilize the previous version.
Artificial Intelligence Research (Ai) is a groundbreaking research project, focusing on creating genuine Artificial Intelligence – the technology that enables machines to converse with humans in natural language. Ai's research facility is located in Savyon, Israel.